Located along the Middlebury River on the first level land west of Middlebury Gap (the route taken by the Center Turnpike), East Middlebury was a natural location for the development of a sub-center within the town. In 1790 Jonathan Foot built a sawmill here. By 1812 there were also a general store, an inn, and a branch of the Vermont Glass Factory (producers of “Dunmore Glass”). By 1821 there were several more shops and ten dwelling houses; by 1850 there were fifty dwellings in the self-sufficient village. Of particular interest are:
145 Former St. Stephen’s Rectory 464 Main Street, perhaps built by Jonathan Foot near his mill and thus the oldest house in the village.
146 The Waybury Inn Built in 1810 by Jonathan Foot as a “place of entertainment.” Long known as the “Glen House,” it was the first resting place for westbound travelers coming down from the mountains and the last place for those eastbound to fortify themselves before the arduous journey through the gap.
147 Methodist Church Built as a Universalist meeting house, 1847. Acquired by the Methodists 1874.